Saturday, September 20, 2008

It's not good, but it's something.

Suddenly, everyone wanted to be his new best friend and for all of the wrong reasons. Imagining myself as him, I think I would have flipped out a bit too. Culture shock can cause a man to reevaluate his life in a heartbeat.

I feel that in trying to figure out who his real friends were, trying to come to terms with the reality around him, he lost sight of what was important - his condo, his work, his family - and he fell into the superficially-charged, pseudo-beatnik society that hung around downtown and sucked him dry like leeches after torrential rain. They clung to him and to life. He relished in his hanger-on-ers like a narcissistic God would of his followers. But all the while, I think he realized that most of the relationships he had with people in this town weren't true. And to know, in the back of your mind, that your friends aren't really your friends, but pretending that they are on the surface to get what they want, has got to hurt like hell.

No comments: